Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Flower and The Seed

Today at the grocery store, Ramona, age four, asks me who made all “those seeds.” I told her that no one made them, but that they came from flowers, “You know that.” She was like, yeah, but “where did the flowers come from?“

“The flowers come from the plants that grew from the seeds.”

“But where did the seeds that made the flowers come from?”

“From other flowers. Flowers come from seeds and seeds come from flowers, that’s the cycle, Ramona.”

"But what about when the flowers were dead? Then where did the seeds come from? Who made them?"

“What do you mean, if the flowers were dead?” Realization. “Oh, you mean before the flowers existed and before the seeds existed? Where did the seeds come from?”

“YEEEEESSSS!”

I finally realize we are talking about a chicken and egg sort of concept…but she’s not asking which came first but how it got there in the first place (much more worthwhile conversation). I ponder for a minute. We have never really discussed things like the origin of the world or any concept of God or self-creating universe. But I take a leap in the dark.

“I don’t know, I guess God made them.”

“Oh, you mean she made the seeds and then dropped them into the earth, put dirt on them and the flowers grew?” She has a big happy smile. I say yes.

Did you catch that wisdom?

No comments: